Are you thinking about getting a dog or a puppy?
Check out your answer to these 10 questions first:
- Am I committed to learning how to become a calm, assertive pack leader for my dog?
- Am I committed to setting clear rules, boundaries, and limitations for my dog?
- Am I committed to walking my dog at least 40 minutes every day?
- Am I committed to giving my dog affection only at appropriate times and when he or she is calm and quiet?
- Will I make sure my dog is socialised and trained properly so he will never be a danger to other animals or people?
- Will I commit to taking my dog to the vet on a regular basis, making sure she receives all her check ups and jabs every year?
- Am I willing to pick up my dogs poo when ever we are out on a walk?
- Am I willing to educate myself on dog psychology in general and any specific needs her breed has in particular?
- Am I willing to put money away to call-in a professional for any behavioural problem or a rush to the vet for a medical emergency?
- Am I committed to taking on a dog for the life of the dog, up to 15 or 16 years?
If you answered yes to every one of those questions, you're absolutely ready for the unconditional love a dog will bring to your life. If you answered no to any one of those questions, perhaps you are not ready for a dog in your house just yet.